Saturday, January 02, 2016

Happy New Year to everyone, I hope we're all ready for a great year ahead of us.  I'm enjoying 2016 so far, all 2 days if it.  I'm finally done with all the commitments, and there's some sewing time planned for the rest of the weekend.

Christmas was a bit of a blur, after celebrating the day with family here I travelled down to Adelaide to spend some time with DD and family.  There was no traffic on the roads, it was wonderful not to have to look out for dodgy drivers.  Shonny lives on the northern edge of  Adelaide, so a few minutes drive away it's country.  I can go visit her without any city traffic at all, which is wonderful.  Her place is two minutes drive from both Bunnings and Spotlight, it doesn't get much better than that!
We went to Spotlight on Sunday and I bought a few things.  There wasn't much patchwork fabric that I was interested in, but I did get some rayon and linen pieces for clothing.  I used to enjoy making most of my clothing, and I hate shopping for clothes anyway.  I'll have a play with this stuff and see if I still like sewing garments.

It's been nasty and hot, so I haven't felt like being in my sewing room with no a/c; today is much cooler though, so I came in from the farm very early, before the sun was even up, and started putting borders on this quilt.

It caused me a lot of trouble, being as I had to match the pattern, and I barely had enough for all four borders.  I've used this toile  for another quilt's borders, and Mereth used the remnants from that, and now every last scrap is gone. This is the first finish for 2016, and I'm very pleased with it.  ONE of the red and blue quilts finished at last.

I'm still wanting to make a Sister's Choice like Bonnie's; I'm making blue and red ones, but that's not the same.  I want something cheerful and scrappy like hers.
I may have started cutting sets of blocks from my modern scraps.

There have been so many bushfires this season already; one of DD's workmates lost everything, the only thing that was saved was her dog.  One of Helen's friends lost his whole house and farm, he has nothing left.  I'm going to concentrate on actually quilting a lot of my modern tops so that I can offer them to people in need.  If I have a selection then it's more likely they will see one they really like.  I love making my quilts, and sometimes that's enough; I don't need to own the quilt forever.  I've never regretted gifting a quilt in the past, so I want to do more of it in future.

4 comments:

Gypsy Quilter 1:29 AM  

Another beautiful quilt. Happy New Year to you. Dolly and I are looking forward to seeing what other fun things you finish.

Dora, the Quilter 7:09 AM  

I love your new quilt top--simple, beautiful, and made awesome with the toile!
(The only quilts I've regretted gifting have been those I gave to relatives.)
Have a great 2016!

Sue SA 7:45 AM  

So sad to start the year losing your home, I am sure people would love to receive a beautiful quilt from you. Finished quilt looks great!

Karen in Breezy Point 1:03 PM  

What a beautiful quilt to start off the new year! The fires sound very scary!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP