Friday, July 24, 2015

It didn't take long to get the rows finished, apart from having to unpick a few bits that I sewed wrong.  I thought I was being really careful, but my attention must have wandered.  However, it took nearly 5 hours to sew them all together, what a marathon.

29 seams, at 10 minutes per seam to pin, sew and press.  I don't know why I'm surprised at the time it took, but I am.  I have lousy time management skills, I always underestimate the time involved.

It needs a border, and it could be wider, but I've exhausted my stash; I'm off to the shop to see if I can find a suitable border, and some more blues to replace what I used in this quilt.

I don't know why I have so much green in the batik stash, especially as blue and brown are my favourite colours. I can see that I will have to make a real effort to pad out the stash with blues, having used so many in this quilt.  I'm not comfortable working without a large range to choose from, but I don't like buying batiks online, as I can't judge the colours properly on the screen.  I need a shopping trip in Adelaide!

It's so cold in my sewing room, I'm going to have to start wearing fingerless gloves.  I draped the sewing table in a wool blanket, so it's like a cave underneath, and installed a small 5-fin oil heater.  It's got many heat settings, and I have it set low, so that I can rest my legs and feet against it if I need the extra heat.  Or wrap my hands around the fins to thaw my fingers.  It was all going really well, until Dolly discovered it.  Now I have to sew with a dog squeezed in under the table with me, lying on the foot pedal and generally getting in the way.  Bless her....





4 comments:

Gypsy Quilter 11:12 PM  

Beautiful quilt top. I had to laugh when I read about your Dolly. Perhaps if she had a wool blanket coat that would help too.

Anonymous,  2:00 AM  

Shades of green are the hardest color for me to select. I'm always getting something close, but not right. I have more greens in the green tub than any other color!
Your quilt is lovely, hope you can find the fabric you want for the borders.

Judy Dietrich 11:40 AM  

Wow, this is really beautiful. Such a great group of blues & greens. I love Wanda's blog & she shares her patterns and mindset. I am not good at time management either. It usually takes me 3x's the time that I figure. I guess if I timed each sequence to find out the time it would take---I would probably freak out & not want to continue!! It all takes time, but I think patience is a learned skill. My dog loves to lay on my feet if he can. I think it's the only time he gets deep sleep during naps, because he will know when I am up & going next. They steal your heart, and then your best seat in the house ( or bed!!)

Unknown 1:48 PM  

Stunning colours.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP