Monday, July 22, 2013

It was a busy week, followed by a busy weekend.  The highlight of the week was Wednesday, when we went in to have tea with John and Liz, and then watched the State of Origin rugby on their TV.  Neither Mereth nor I have TV, and don't often feel the lack of one; we've watched the two previous games at our friend Deb's place.  She was away though, so we pleaded with Liz to be allowed to watch it there.  Their TV has never had sport showing on it, so we rather sullied the record that night.

Go Queensland!!!!
 
It was a brilliant match, resulting in lots of screaming from us, which startled Khan so much he took refuge with John.  I don't know that we'll be invited back there.....
 Sorry Khan.

I spent nearly all the weekend sewing, and sewing and sewing.  I was enjoying the plaid blocks so much that I just couldn't stop.  I stayed up till 4am on Friday night, which was really silly, but I loved every minute of it. And then I sewed all Saturday as well.  The top is in one piece now, and just needs the borders attached, sometime today, and then it can go in the pile for quilting.
I'll make a strippy backing for it, and that will be the plaid drawer emptied.

 While I was piecing I  realised the main reason why I didn't include more of these fabrics on my quilts.  The ones from the early days, in the 90s and early 00s, were a very loose weave, not good quality at all.  I bought them because there was nothing else available, and I loved the effect of them , but it was really hard to use them with normal quality quilt fabric.
The green fabric is nice quality, the gold one is pretty dreadful, very loose weave and lots of flaws in the weaving.
 The red and green plaid was the worst, there were actual holes in it; I used the best bits, as the colours are nice, but a lot of it went in the bin.

It's not that I won't buy plaid in the future, but it will have to be good quality from now on.

2 comments:

Andrea 5:57 PM  

Looks good though in spite of the flaws. I bought a couple of fq packs when I first started quilting. Lovely plaid pastels. When I eventually untied them I realised how thin they were. I made quite a few string blocks on a muslin foundation. Just to stabilise them. They are in a box somewhere x

Sue SA 4:54 PM  

Love the plaids in that pattern, works well. I must say I wouldn't let you enthusiastically watch rugby at mine either, I would send you to the nearest pub!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP