Sunday, September 11, 2011

All the comments on the previous post have been helpful.  I particularly like the idea of post-it notes, and multiple lists, and blackboards or whiteboards.  I'm determined to build a system that works for me, and that I can stick to.  The problem I've been facing lately is that I finish the things I HAVE to get done, but not the things I want to do.  I need to list 7 things a week that I'd like to do, and cross off one a day, in any order.

Today I wanted to work in the garden, so I sat down with a cup of coffee and started a list. First I wrote 'Plant seedlings in bigger pots'. Then I realised that I would have to make up some potting mix first, so I wrote that above the first item.  And then thought that I should mix a bucket of liquid fertiliser to soak the seedlings in too, so I had to squeeze that in as well.  It struck me that I usually write one thing on my list, and that thing involves a ton of other work before I even get to it.  Then when I've worked for hours I get to cross one measly item off the list, and I feel cheated.  So from now on I intend to write down every step, and cross them all off at the end of the day.

Further down the list I found myself writing 'Build fence at the side of the hall' and 'Pergola'.  Today?  I really need to keep my to-do lists achievable, and not include things that belong on a Long Term Goals list. And if I think of  a job to do, but I don't have all the equipment or tools or supplies, I need to write it on a shopping list straight away, so I don't forget.  When I've assembled everything I need, then I write it on the To-Do list.

I'm pleased to report that I did four things on my list today, and I will transfer the other two things to tomorrow's list.  I'll get the hang of this yet....

I am two blocks over the half way point with this quilt. 

I'm a little bit weary of sewing the same thing again and again, so I'm going to move onto another quick project and use this as a leader-ender for a while.  It's getting a bit too dark, so I need to cut out a lot of medium value fabrics to make sure it stays cheerful.

One thing that has become a habit is taking the dogs for a walk each night.  Our reward is the scenery, fresh air, exercise and magnificent sunsets.  It's such a beautiful time of year.

2 comments:

Jan 9:19 AM  

I think these blocks are marvelous and will make one heck of a quilt.
Oh, that evening sky!

Sue SA 5:07 PM  

Gorgous photo. Glad to hear that you are getting the hang of lists, hope it works out for you. I need to add "exercise" and "fresh air" to my list! Happy quilting Sue SA.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP