Sunday, March 23, 2008

Several people have asked about the pattern for the woven quilt I showed in the montage. I have no idea what the official name is, but I call it Double Woven.It's dead easy to make, from one simple block. On the Stashbuster list there has been some discussion about simple piecing versus more complicated patterns; this is a nice step up from the easy stuff, but there's nothing difficult about it.

It starts off with a partial seam, and if you've never tried that technique it's a simple block to learn on. There are no seams to match except for the actual blocks themselves, and if your blocks turn out to be varying sizes you can trim them to size without affecting the overall look. It's a great intermediate skills project.

I used all scrap for mine, but it would look great in a controlled colour scheme too. Every block is identical; keep the horizontal strips all aligned so that the dark is at the bottom, and the vertical ones so that the dark is at the right. I make a block to keep by the machine to refer to.This one isn't wrong, it's just rotated. One quarter turn to the right and it's the same block.
Mine is built of 1 1/2" medium and dark strips joined together. This is really mindless piecing, just grab two bits and feed them through the machine. The seamed strips are cut into 4 1/2" slices.

Put a light 2 1/2" square on top of one slice and sew half-way down. Repeat for however many blocks you are doing. Remember, all the dark sides of the slices should be in the same orientation.
Finger press the partial seam towards the 4 1/2"slice and add another slice.

Keep adding slices, then complete the seam you started with.
Here's bits of the block being built.And four of them together.
I love optical illusion quilts, and I always see great possiblities with this woven pattern. I have 10 or so variations in my sample box; just don't have enough time to work on them right now.

My store website continues to grow, I'm plodding closer to completion on that. It's a lovely piece of software, and it will be great once it's up and running, but I have to build it all first. I'm so over computer screens right now. I've been sewing my blue and green blocks, but had a play with the nine-patches this morning. Wouldn't this be a spectacular quilt all on it's own? I love the variations possible with simple blocks; can't ever get tired of this game.

15 comments:

Anonymous,  3:01 PM  

Love the blue and green quilt as it is. Can't wait to see how it ends up.

Brenda

Henrietta 3:28 PM  

Are you doing a zen cart? Hopefully you will have BIG pictures of your pantos because your US distributor expects us to buy on a 176 x 153px image and for a 12" wide pantograph (Holly Feather) reduced that small you have no idea what you are buying.
Even with coke bottle glasses on. Grumble grump.

Hedgehog 7:18 PM  

Nice tutorial. Love the greens and blues together. That is 'my' color green.

sewprimitive karen 7:28 PM  

Thank you for the tutorial, Keryn, love the quilt.

Chookyblue...... 7:38 PM  

great block.......I never get tired of seeing what you and Mereth are up to........goodluck with the store...

Karen (Misiz C) 2:22 AM  

Ooooh. I REALLY like your double woven block/quilt too. I'm going to go make a sample block and hang it on my design wall....perhaps it will motivate me to finish a couple other UFO's. I really need another project...NOT! LOL!

Shelina 8:05 AM  

I love this combination of blue and green - you're right it would be a great quilt on its own. You are amazing - you have finished so many quilts already this year. I'm trying to think if I even have one done this year. You are an inspiration.

meggie 11:39 AM  

Thankyou for showing us how to make this block Keryn! I will make one to see how I go, & perhaps after finishing my latest mistake- er project- i will make a whole quilt using that wonderful block.

The Calico Cat 12:23 AM  

Thanks for the tutorial, your scrappy quilt is lovely. (I have used that "technique" as a border before.)

Anonymous,  12:49 AM  

i love your double woven quilt! thanks so much for showing us how to make it.
pam

Nancy 1:49 AM  

I love the woven pattern. Thank you for sharing. Now I know what to do with some 1.5 inch strips.

Hugs,
nancy

Helen 9:15 AM  

Thanks for the tutorial! I love those simple quilts. You are one talented quilter!

Lynn E 1:35 PM  

I was following some blog trails and found your wonderful site. I have been cutting 1.5 inch strips for every FQ I bought for the last 7 years. I made a log cabin with some of them but I still have a large amount and still cutting. Your tutorial inspired me to start zipping up some strips... hope mine turns out as good as yours.

cherylgauteng 5:44 PM  

Thanks for sharing all of these quilts with me - they are all fantastic !! Clever lady.
Cheryl South Africa

tami 3:23 AM  

Thank you for the instructions. I can't wait to try them.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP