Sunday, January 20, 2008

I seem to have trouble doing what I'm supposed to. I started sewing together the blocks for the Carolina Crossroads, and it just wasn't working for me. The blocks weren't a uniform size, and when I trimmed them to 9.5" none of the seams intersected properly. So I did the only thing I could think of at the time; sashed the blocks with a 1" sashing to separate all those pesky intersections. And then I thought that I really liked how the Rail Fence blocks looked together, and the Ohio Stars looked good in the corners, and this is the result.It took HOURS AND HOURS! The sewing wasn't so hard, but I had to figure out what the design was actually going to look like and I kept changingmy mind, and at one stage I thought of naming it Carolina Cusswords. But things finally fell into place, and I'm very happy with it, and it lays flat, thank heavens. I am naming it Carolina Coverlet, because it reminds me of a woven coverlet.

On Thursday Mereth and I did a quick dash to the patchwork shop 1 1/2 hours away, on a mission to find border materials for the stash. I picked up a blue FQ on a whim, not knowing what on earth I could do with it, and wouldn't you know, it's perfect for the border for this quilt. So it's back to the shop next week so I can finish this.

And there were enough leader ender pieces sewn today to make 36 of these blue Anvil blocks. That's the start of my next quilt I suppose.

25 comments:

Vicki W 6:15 AM  

Your Carolina coverlet is simply stunning! I love your interpretation of the pattern.

dot 7:48 AM  

I like your Corlina coverlet. I like the Corlina Cusswords, that sure put a smile on my face. It is fun to see how everyone is playing with the pattern and comming up with something different.

Judith 8:35 AM  

I like it how you did the quilt too.

Anonymous,  8:41 AM  

Your hours and hours of fussing really paid off - such an interesting interpretation. Really like it. Canadian Gail

Misty 10:33 AM  

Wow, your version of the Carolina Crossroads turned out really well. Congratulations on having the top nearly finished.

I've been reading your blog for some time and really like your color choices in your quilts. How did you develop your color choices as a quilter?

tirane93 10:58 AM  

sweet! i love your version of the carolina C___ quilt. Never appologize for originality!

Sara 11:43 AM  

Wow! I am playing with changing Bonnie's design because it is a little too "busy" for me. I'm delighted to see your version.

It helps me grab hold of my own interpretation and not feel GUILTY about not simply loving her original design.

Thanks, thanks for sharing--your name fits the way it looks to me also.

Helen 12:56 PM  

I love it too! It is like an intricate floor tile design in an old building. Stunning!

Anonymous,  1:59 PM  

I really like your setting, so much so that I might get on with catching up with my blocks.

meggie 2:45 PM  

Carolina coverlet is really something unusual! Lovely.
A new project just from the scraps, so to speak.

Purple Pam 5:39 PM  

Your final layout is great. What a wonderful way to solve a problem. Some of my seams are not lining up either. I am having to unsew and resew some to get them to match. I guess I was not paying attention to my seam allowances.

I like your blue anvil blocks, too. Did you have a particular idea in mind when you started this leader/ender, or did this pattern evolve later?

canquilt 6:37 PM  

Another fine example of when you say to yourself "WHAT IF........." It is wonderful.
Lorre

darlynn 12:32 AM  

I too am making this quilt. Love your version!!! Did you share w/Bonnie? She would love to see it...
Congrats on an outstanding job!

Sweet P 1:45 AM  

I love your design choice. I seldom follow directions myself and that makes sewing fun.

Paula 5:02 AM  

Love your coverlet! Quilters really know how to make up for a few mistakes and come up with something wonderful. Great job.

Tracey in CT 5:38 AM  

Looks great! I just LOVE seeing all the different interpretations of one pattern!

Quilts And Pieces 2:11 PM  

It is wonderful! And I think your new name for it is perfect!

julieQ 12:34 AM  

Love it Keryn! Very nice layout. I am sashing mine too. I have mine all laid out on the floor (design floor)hehehe...but I am short corner triangles! Were we supposed to make 20? I made 16 as the pattern said, and I have no corners. ????? What am I doing wrong?? Thanks for any info...
JulieQ

Tonya Ricucci 5:03 AM  

it's marvelous. I love how you made it your own. great job.

Floss 6:15 AM  

I love the Carolina Coverlet, I love the changes you mode to the pattern, they really work.

Sue 12:34 PM  

Carolina Cusswords- ha! It turned out really nice, love how you put it all together.

Lynda (Granny K) 3:01 AM  

Superb! Love it! and the blue and black/beige look so 'antique', can't wait to see the finished quilt.

MARCIE 9:10 PM  

You really make me laugh! Your quilt turned out fabulous in spite of your cuss words!

Helen in the UK 9:44 PM  

This is ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!! Love how you turned the difficulties of the mystery into a brilliant solution. Wonderful :)

Lucy 5:30 AM  

Your Carolina Crossroads is absolutly Stunning!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP