Saturday, September 30, 2006

I spent my sewing time last night making these; 5 bindings for the quilts in the stack. That's at least 2 1/2 metres of fabric there, so I've certainly busted some stash in the last two weeks. It's a good feeling. I have yet to make the hanging sleeves, but that will take another 2 1/2 metres of fabric too. Sadly, there's never a dent in the stash, the rest of the fabric just breathes out and fills up the space.

I finished the blocks for the Grey Havens quilt, and set them all together. I'm really pleased with the way it looks, and I will put the border on some time today and get it finished. Then I'm going to baste it and machine quilt the main seams; that will stabilise it enough so that I can hand quilt the black blocks at my leisure. I haven't decided yet if I will do traditional handquilting, or a large stitch with black perle cotton. The quilting won't show up particularly well on such dark fabric, so it's no use putting my best stitches into it.

The materials I used to make this block were reeaally old. The centre block is a scrap from a dancing dress Meredith made when we were 16. We used to go to all the country dances, wearing floor length dresses with enormous flared skirts that floated out when we waltzed. This particular dress was divine, and I love that fabric so much. But Meredith chose it first, so I couldn't have it.

One of my dresses was 15' around the hem; I scandalised Mum and everyone else by hemming it on the machine. All hems were done by hand, thank you very much!! But I figured I'd just keep moving and no-one would be able to see what I'd done...

Another fabric in this block is from a dress I made when I went away to join the Royal Aust. Air Force in '77. The list of requirements stated that I needed 3 dresses for attending the Mess each evening. I duly purchased this material and made myself a dress; it came to a sticky end. In Darwin I left it hanging on the clothes line for a week, because I was rather distracted by a certain person (later to be my DH). By the time I remembered to do my chores the dress had faded to a pale rag in the tropical sun. So I'd better keep this block out of the sun.

The other block is made from a brown paisley that was popular in the early 80's. I used up every last scrap in this block, but I'm fine with that. There are other brown paisleys now, but for a long time there was no fabric to compare with it. I treasure it.

And then when I was cleaning out a cupboard I found this sampler, started when I was 15. I can't even remember where I got the quotation from, but it struck a chord with me then, and still does now. I'm trying to find the chart so I can finish it.

The quotation reads "Many a heartache has been buried in the growing petals of a silken rose, and the sharp edge of sorrow dulled by the sweet calm monotony of a shining bit of steel."

4 comments:

Lucy 10:57 PM  

I love to seee your blocks with the old fabric with memories in it :-)

ForestJane 5:46 AM  

Fifteen feet around the hem? Wow. :) That must have been some dress!

meggie 7:47 AM  

Oh! how I have enjoyed your lovely blogs!!
Love your quilts too, the colours & the variety.
I will just go off & shoot myself!
All your activity puts me to utter shame.

I dont see a contact email for you. I have chosen the same template for my blog, & cannot for the life of me work out how to get links onto my template, in spite of help from two other bloggers. I will just keep trying I guess, unless you have any tips.
You would seem to be far too busy!

Your work is just lovely.

Nines 6:23 PM  

Love the blocks and the memories that go with it- you are a very resourceful girl!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP